KUV100 was revealed by Mahindra yesterday. We take a closer look at what is known and on offer…
So, the most awaited small car from Mahindra’s stables, one which was under test for the last two odd years, is out – officially revealed by the company at an event yesterday and codenamed as S101, it will be commercially called as KUV100.
KUV according to Mahindra full forms to “Kool Utility Vehicle”! We are not sure how “Kool” is that but yes, the name could have been better. However, that is where our crib ends as the compact(est) SUV looks real interesting in the pictures shared by Mahindra.
The front end, reminds us of the bigger brethren XUV500 and intentionally so. If you have seen our exclusive spyshots of a camouflaged test mule in motion, we exclaimed that there are subtle hints of the gorgeous Evoque and it becomes apparently clear after the unveiling.
The front heavy design is muscular and gets XUV-like headlamps which appear sweptback due to that connected plastic element with the engine badging “powered by mFalcon“. The small front grille gets chrome ascents and the added cladding all around the body does enhance the muscular looks. The falling roofline is another shared crossover trait and those rear door handles immediately bring Chevrolet’s Beat into sights. The alloy wheel design chosen, unlike the older XUV, is beautiful and complements the car.
KUV100 Key Pointers
Here are some quick pointers we notice..
- Mahindra has already manufactured some 1000 units but going by the words of Pawan Goenka – these are all pre-production mules (which we believe will NOT be sold to the common pulic). Tells us about how confident Mahindra is regarding KUV100.
- After TUV, KUV continues with rectangular fog lamps, though they are slanted. As is the norm, it gets chrome surrounds.
- The headlamps get sparkling DRLs along with blackened interiors.
- Tyres on this display car are 185/65 14 inchers – brand Bridgestone.
- The side blinkers are nicely perched on the side fender.
- Unlike XUV (except W4 variant), KUV100 gets a roof-mounted radio antenna.
- Roof rails are not prominently big.
KUV100: Pics[metaslider id=37865]
In terms of engines, KUV100 will be powered by two all-new engines — 1.2 Liter mFalcon G80 82 bhp/114Nm petrol and 1.2 Liter mFalcon D75 77 bhp/190 Nm diesel. It will come in 4 variants with standard ABS. Airbags will be optional on all variants right from the entry K2.
Mahindra has opened bookings from today and official launch date is 15th January 2016. According to our estimates we are expecting starting price tag of Rs 3.99 Lakhs!