Delhi Diesel Car Ban is a hot topic of debate these days. Let us list the cars and manufacturers which are affected…
Supreme Court has passed a verdict which bans the sale of diesel vehicles with engine displacements greater than 2.0 litre (2000 cc) with immediate effect in Delhi. In simple terms, you can not buy popular SUVs and cars like XUV500, Fortuner, A-Class etc and get them registered in Delhi, at least for the coming three months.
The idea is to curb the ever increasing pollution levels in the city which have surpassed the prescribed safety levels, by manifolds in many places.
List of Cars Banned in Delhi
So here is the list of all cars which are banned from sale and registration till March 2016.
- Mahindra: The manufacturer sadly cannot sell its best selling models in the city. These includes the Scorpio, XUV500, Bolero. Also included are Thar, Scorpio Getaway and the SsangYong Rexton.
- Toyota: Yes, the nation’s favourite MPV the Innova too falls in this category and so does the Fortuner and the Land Cruisers.
- Mercedes: Sorry pals, you guys missed the bus by just 143 cc! While both BMW and Audi have big engines, their bread winning models are also offered with smaller diesel mills. The folks at Merc with the 2,143 cc motor cannot sell the diesel versions of A Class, B Class, C Class, CLA, CLS, E Class, GL Class, GLE, GLA and S Class! Now that’s a long list.
- Tata: The desi born car maker will not be able to sell their Safari family along with Sumo. Also put on hold is the Aria and Xenon.
- Jaguar Land Rover: Yes, adding salt to Tata’s misery are the luxury brands Jaguar and Land Rover. While the sedan maker Jaguar cannot sell the XF and XJ diesel while the SUV specialist cannot sell even one of their SUVs in diesel!
- Audi: The Ingolstadt based company cannot sell the new Q7, diesel variants of A8 and the top end models of Q5. Interestingly India is one of the top 10 markets for the Q7 globally.
- BMW: The Germans cannot sell the top end trims of 5 series, 6 series, 7 series, X3, X5 and X6!
- Maserati: The Italian sports car maker which re-entered the Indian market only this year, cannot sell diesel variants of the Ghibli and Quattroporte.
- Porsche: They cannot sell any diesel variants of their cars. This includes the Macan, Cayenne and Panamera.
- Volvo: The swedish safety specialist cannot retail the diesel trims of S60, S80 and XC60.
- Other manufacturers which will be affected include Hyundai (Santa Fe), Ford (Endeavour), Force (Force One), Chevrolet (Trailblazer), Isuzu (MU7), and Mitsubishi (Pajero Sport)!
Yes, there are a lot of confusions unclarified along with opinions, which, we are sure, you will have many. But we will wait for sometime to let the air get cleared before talking about it further.