What the government’s ruling of sub 4 meter cars has done is, give manufacturers ideas which they would have never thought and we would not have witnessed otherwise!
The extreme case of this ruling, we have seen, is the Ambassador CS! Anyways, coming to the point, Autocar has just revealed what we thought will never be possible! They say, Volkswagen has confirmed that they are developing a shorter version of their smart sedan, Vento. How small? Needless, to say, Smaller than 4 meters, to qualify for the tag of ‘Small car‘ in India.
According to Indian Excise rules, cars which are under 4 meters in length and have engine capacity of less than 1.2L for Petrol and 1.5L for diesel qualify for the lowest 12% excise duties. If a car breaches this, the next slab is exactly the double at 24% and depending upon various conditions it keeps on increasing.
This speculation from Autocar is really surprising considering the following points:
- The smaller sibling Polo is already 3970mm in length, just shy of that 4000mm mark!
- At 1.6L both petrol and diesel engines of the Vento breach that small car conditions. Does Autocar mean that Volkswagen will use Polo’s current underpowered 3-pot engines? We request VW, if that is the plan, to scrap the project right away! Or will VW use or bring other/newer engines? TSI anyone?
Now, comes the third and most important pointer! Autocar says, Volkswagen is planning to launch this smaller Vento before 2014. From all what our English teacher taught us in prepositions, that means within this year 2013. Autocar is attributing this revelation to Ulrich Hackenberg who is the R&D chief at Volkswagen.
If this story bears any bit of reality, Vento CS (our habit of calling every sub 4 meter sedan!) will be the car to watch out for along with Honda’s Amaze.
Also Read: Mahindra Verito CS Caught Testing
|Remain Updated! Get these articles delivered right into your mailbox. Absolutely FREE!|
You Might Also Like
- What is Volkswagen Testing in This Vento Test Mule? (0)
- SPIED: What is VW Hiding in This Secret Polo With Hidden Badges? (0)
- VW Hikes Prices of Polo and Vento; Adds New Features to Compensate (0)
- SPIED: VW Up! Ambles Along in Pune Without Any Confirmed Indian Innings (1)
- SPIED: Volkswagen Polo Sedan 1.6 LHD Caught Testing in Pune (1)
Most Read Articles
- - Surprise: Honda's compact SUV coming next year
- - Now VW preparing an EcoSport Rival – Taigun is India bound!
- - List of all Tata's upcoming launches for 2013 & 2014
- - Four Reasons Why EcoSport Should Be Priced Sensibly
- - List Of All Upcoming Fiat Launches
- - EcoSport Rival Chevy Trax Coming To India. Is It?
- - Exclusive: Skoda Fabia Caught With New Logo Badges In Pune
- - List of All Upcoming and Available Automatic Hatchback Cars in India
- - Breaking: TATA Nano Diesel Caught Again – Interior Pics Included
- - Loads Of Pictures Of Honda Brio Amaze
Read what we have posted earlier
Most Trending Articles
- - Fiat’s 1.3L MultiJet Diesel Engine – List of All Indian Cars that Run on it
- - MB Xclusive: 4X4 Mahindra Quanto Caught Testing in Pune
- - Here is the Facelifted Aria With Automatic Gearbox
- - 180bhp Fiat Punto Abarth Evo EsseEsse Caught In India
- - Renault Duster 4WD Spotted in India
- - India bound Jeep Cherokee unveiled[28 pic gallery]
- - Did you know: Renault Duster has gone I lakh dearer since launch