Tata has shot in an official press release announcing the official name of Kite 5 as TIGOR! They haven’t mentioned the meaning or the idea behind it but it may have been derived from the word Tiger. Tigor launch is promised soon….
Update: A production version of the car has been spotted wearing ‘Tigor’ badges. Credit – Team-BHP.
Compact sedans are no beauty queens and instead, they are more utility than form! But one such product that managed to grab eyeballs despite the plethora of other fresh metal at the Auto Expo was the Kite 5 concept, which will be commercially called as Tigor. Tigor is based on the Tiago hatchback and is being promoted as India’s first ‘Styleback’! It manages to catch everybody’s attention with its coupe-ish roofline and an overall sporty exterior shape which has not been seen much in the segment yet.
This page contains many spy pics of Tigor sourced from Team-BHP. Let us quickly skim through the observations..
Tata Tigor – Observations
There are not many changes from the pre-production version showcased at the Auto Expo 2016.
- What you see above is a brand new colour and hasn’t been seen on any current Tata car yet.
- Tigor will be offered with 5-spoke diamond-cut alloys which are stylish. They are different and way better than the clumsy 16-spoke alloys of the pre-production model.
- There is a chunky chrome bar connecting the two tail lamps very similar to Figo Aspire.
- It retains the roof-mounted LED brake light extension of the production model like the Auto Expo model. The rear side blinkers are orange in place of the white of the concept model.
- Also, there is only a single reverse light against the two of the Auto Expo model.
- The following pic confirms that Tata will carry over Tiago’s dashboard design on the Tigor as well with the inclusion of Auto AC. Pictured here is reported to be the top end XZ variant
Tigor will be powered by the same series of engines as the Tiago hatchback which includes…
- The 1.2 litre Revotron three pot petrol producing 85 PS of power and 114 Nm of torque.
- The indigenously developed new 1.05 litre Revotorq diesel mill. While the output has not been confirmed for the sedan, it may be tweaked up for those added kilos. In the hatchback it squeezes out 70 PS and 140 Nm.
Both the engines will get Multi Drive – ECO and CITY modes. It is also expected to get a 5 inch touch screen infotainment system backed by a set of 8 speakers – another feature which is not heard of in the segment.
Tata has also tied up with MapMyIndia for navigation maps. An Android application has also been developed which will help in sharing music. In terms of safety features, Tigor will get dual front airbags with ABS, EBD and Corner Stability Control.
Tata Tigor Launch
In the official statement, Tata announces that Tigor will be their next big introduction and they will announce the launch date very soon. Expect Tigor to make way sometime next month with an official word awaited…
Apart from this, Mayank Pareek, President, Passenger Vehicle Unit, Tata Motors, called other cars in this segment Boxy and Tata claimed that Tigor will be a game changer.
It must be noted that Tigor will be placed under Zest and is a smaller car in dimensions and its pricing is expected to be one of its USP! Going by the response to Tiago, Tigor launch is expected to bring in lost volumes to Tata!