Japanese major Toyota Motor Corp was the largest automobile manufacturer in terms of sale volumes from 2008 to 2010 but lost its momentum due to natural disasters like earthquake in Japan and floods in Thailand.
The top spot was snatched by Detroit based General Motors followed by German based Volkswagen for the second spot. But, it did not take Toyota long to race ahead of the competition. According to Bloomberg, Toyota sold 2.49 million units in the first quarter where the corresponding figures for General Motors and Volkswagen stood at 2.28 million and 2.16 million units, enabling Toyota to jump back to the numero position in the first quarter of the new year.
These figures are possibly an indication that Toyota’s production is in full swing and all the issues caused by the natural disasters which hampered production seem to have been ironed out. On this occasion Toyota’s North American Vice President of external affairs said
“Although being No. 1 is not the main goal for us, it’s nice to see because hopefully it shows we’re on the right track.”. He added “With customers reacting so positively to all of the new and updated products we’re introducing this year, we’re optimistic the good momentum will continue.”
Remain Updated! Get these articles delivered right into your mailbox. Subscribe for FREE!
Do Check This Out as Well
- Toyota Set to Reclaim World’s Largest Selling Manufacturer Title Again; VW & GM Vie for Second (1)
- Toyota is World’s Largest Selling Carmaker, Again! (0)
- GENEVA: Honda displays NS-X, CR-V & EV-STER (0)
- Toyota Snatches World’s Largest Car Maker Tag Again for the First Half of 2012 (0)
- Toyota Gears Up To Reclaim the Crown, 8 New Launches on The Cards (0)
- - With Ecosport Has Ford Messed Up Things: 5 Stinkers!
- - First Ever Spyshots of India Bound Honda Compact SUV
- - Next-Gen Jazz: All Details
- - EcoSport Rival Chevy Trax Coming To India. Is It?
- - Spyshots of Mahindra S101 Revealing Dashboard
- - India Bound Jeep's B-Segment SUV Details Revealed
- - Revealed Nano Diesel's Open Front Bonnet
- - Xclusive: Tata Aria Automatic (AT) Spied For The First Time Ever!
- - Tata to Launch 2 New Land Rover DNA Based SUVs
- - Live Pictures, Details and Video of Upcoming Datsun GO+ MPV
- - New Spyshots of 2014 Toyota Corolla: Launch Early 2014
- - Duster 4WD Spied in Chennai; Are You India Bound Mate?
- - Mahindra Plans a Flurry of Utility Vehicles; Here is a List
- - Fiat’s 1.3L MultiJet Diesel Engine – List of All Indian Cars that Run on it
- List of All 4 Upcoming Auto Gear Shift (AMT) Cars in 2014: Nano, Quanto, Alto K10 & Zest [Updated]
- Tata Prima is the Title Sponsor for King’s XI Punjab in IPL
- Tata Launches Ringtones for Zest and Bolt; Download Them Inside
- Nissan-Ashok Leyland Launches First Air Conditioned Partner LCV at Rs 8.73 Lakhs
- Audi A3 is World Car of the Year: Coming Soon to India
- Mahindra’s New SUVs S101, U310 Coming in 2015 From New Plant in Tamil Nadu
- Interesting 2: Fiat 500L Spied in India: Is There Something More than What Meets the Eye?
Read what we have posted earlier