Off late, you must be reading a lot about this relatively new term called as ‘AMT’ in India. If you are confused what is it exactly and how does it work and what are its characteristics, just continue reading.
Developed by Suzuki, the new Auto Gear shift promoted as ‘EZ Drive’ by the company in India, will be the next big thing in the market. It is a relatively easier transmission than the complete autobox and is also cheaper to produce. It full forms to Automated Manual Transmission.
How does Suzuki’s AMT Work?
It is essentially a 5-speed manual transmission which has an electro-hydraulic actuator which takes care of both the clutch and gearshift and operates both of them automatically. The actuator and the controller are directly mounted on the transmission and this provides unity of the operating device in turn helping smooth shifts by creating synchronization between engine rpm, clutch and gearshits.
Characteristics of Auto Gear Shift
According to the claims by Suzuki, the new Auto Gear Shift helps in achieving better fuel efficiency than an equivalent automatic gearbox since the basis of AMT is manual transmission. We have seen in the case of Celerio that the ARAI certified fuel efficiency for both the 5-speed Manual transmission as well as the AMT stand at a very impressive 23.1kmpl.
And since there is no clutch pedal for the driver to operate, you are saved of that extra efforts which helps in the ease of driving specially in congested city traffic commutes. AMT box also helps save costs and is cheaper to make than an Autobox. Add to that, your AMT equipped car always has the option of switching to the Manual Mode which let’s you enjoy the driving as you want, just like a regular manual transmission car.
Celerio will be the first stock car that will come equipped with such a transmission in India, however, we have people who have been getting their car transmissions fitted with this kind of an Automated Manual Transmission as an aftermarket fitment.
Apart from Maruti Celerio, Tata is also considering launching their Nano with an AMT gearbox to further enhance the ‘smartness’ of the car. We have not driven such a car and hope it brings about a nice little change in the Automatic cars in the country, most important being – making them cheaper!
Also Check Out: Maruti Suzuki’s Upcoming SUVs for India
Remain Updated! Get these articles delivered right into your mailbox. Subscribe for FREE!
Don't Miss This...
- Go Clutchless! Upcoming Maruti-Suzuki Celerio to Come with “Clutchless” AMT Gear Shifter
- Cheapest Alto K10 & WagonR AMT Coming Soon: Celerio AMT Demand Unprecedented
- Is AutoShift (AMT) the Next Big Thing! Celerio AMT Selling More Than MT
- LEAKED: Maruti’s Celerio Brochure, Spyshots & All Details: NO AIRBAGS!
- - With Ecosport Has Ford Messed Up Things: 5 Stinkers!
- - First Ever Spyshots of India Bound Honda Compact SUV
- - Next-Gen Jazz: All Details
- - EcoSport Rival Chevy Trax Coming To India. Is It?
- - Spyshots of Mahindra S101 Revealing Dashboard
- - India Bound Jeep's B-Segment SUV Details Revealed
- - Revealed Nano Diesel's Open Front Bonnet
- - Xclusive: Tata Aria Automatic (AT) Spied For The First Time Ever!
- - Tata to Launch 2 New Land Rover DNA Based SUVs
- - Live Pictures, Details and Video of Upcoming Datsun GO+ MPV
- - New Spyshots of 2014 Toyota Corolla: Launch Early 2014
- - Duster 4WD Spied in Chennai; Are You India Bound Mate?
- - Mahindra Plans a Flurry of Utility Vehicles; Here is a List
- - Fiat’s 1.3L MultiJet Diesel Engine – List of All Indian Cars that Run on it