Tata Safari Storme was initially planned for a 2007 launch but the good folks only took five years more to let the competition ruin everything for them (more details). Finally, the SUV was launched in 2012 at starting prices of Rs 9.95 Lakhs, but soon after the initial hoopla, sales withered away and it is a dismal seller now!
Back in May last year, first test mule of Storme was snapped suggesting that the company is preparing a facelift and following it up were spyshots with that magical VARICOR400 badge confirming that Tata is testing the 400Nm engine on the Storme. And today, Tata has officially launched the new 2015 Safari Storme facelift in India and without wasting any more words, let us delve into the major features and changes on the 2015 version of the SUV.
2015 Storme Facelift Features & Changes
- 10PS increment in power to 150PS from the same 2.2 liter VARICOR diesel engine
- Torque remains 320Nm. What happened to that 400Nm Varicor is not known at this point but speculations suggest it may go to the upcoming under test Automatic version.
- Improved Low End torque (claimed)
- New Honeycomb grille
- Projector headlamp with PES (Poly Ellipsoid System) Rings
- New interiors – Java Black with silver ascents
- New CONNECTNEXT Infotainment system by Harman
- Reverse parking sensors and display on the screen
- Tata Signature Multi-Function Steering Wheel
- New 260mm dia Self-adjusting clutch
- Increased fuel tank capacity of 63 liters (Old Storme 55 liters)
- Remote central lock with flip key
- Airbags still continue to be offered in the top VX trim only
- ABS has been snatched from LX and is offered on EX and VX trims
2015 Safari Storme Variants & Prices
Tata continues with the same 4 variant lineup and here are their respective prices…
- Safari Storme LX: Rs 9.99 Lakhs
- Safari Storme EX: Rs 11.60 Lakhs
- Safari Storme VX 4X2: Rs 13.02 Lakhs
- Safari Storme VX 4X4: Rs 14.35 Lakhs
*all prices ex-showroom Delhi
Safari Storme was launched at starting prices of Rs 9.95 Lakhs in 2012 and the last-known entry prices rose to 10.41 Lakhs with the SUV being offered at heavy discounts. In on-paper terms, Tata has reduced the entry price barrier as compared to the older Storme, however, they have killed the LX variant. We will discuss the slashes in another article.
From the same 2.2 liter Varicor motor, Tata claims a 0-100 kmph sprint in 14 seconds and with an ARAI certified fuel efficiency rating of 14.1 kmpl.
Also Read: List of 7 Upcoming SUVs/MPVs From Tata
2015 Safari Storme Colors
Tata is offering the new Storme in five color options
- Urban Bronze
- Arctic Silver
- Pearl White
- Astern Black
- Arctic White
Overall, Tata themselves do not appear to be very much hopeful of the new Storme turning around things for them and this may be the reason of a non-event simple silent launch without creating too much of a hoopla! The facelift itself, apart from the power increment, doesn’t look really very luring to us. What do you feel?