The second largest commercial vehicle manufacturer Ashok Leyland has added a new entrant to their stables with an intermediate commercial vehicle (ICV) – Boss. The new Boss will slot as a medium sized ICV along the existing E-Comet range.
Last month the vehicle was released at the South Indian city of Madurai, Tamil Nadu to gauge its public reception. After sensing good reception, Ashok Leyland launched Boss in Chennai marking its national debut.
The new truck is based on the Czech Republic subsidiary of Ashok Leyland- AVIA’s product platform. The modern truck platform provides it better crash resistant body, better fuel efficiency and a faster turnaround time compared to the competition. Boss comes with a contemporary European-design cab and an indigenous driveline design.
The truck will roll out from the newly constructed Pantnagar plant in Uttarakhand.
Ashok Leyland BOSS Price
Available in three different tonnage categories of 9.6 ton, 11.9 ton and 12.9 ton gross vehicle weight, Boss will start from Rs 10.5 lakh to Rs 12 lakh (ex-showroom Chennai).
AL Boss Engines & Features
Here is peek in to the engine specs and the feature list of the truck-
Boss LE variant – 120hp H-series BS3 engine with an in-line fuel injection pump, 6-speed overdrive gearbox.
Boss LX variant – 130hp common rail engine with factory-fitted air-conditioning, the LX variant features industry-first Automated Manual Transmission. The AMT system refers to a manual gear box with automated system for gear changing. The setup is to provide comfort without compromising on the mileage.
Mechanicals and comfort features-
- A hydraulic power steering system
- The steering column with tilt-able and telescopic movements
- 2-point suspended cabin provides a comfortable ride on the roughest of roads.
- The hydraulic cab-tilt mechanism
- A best-in-class turning radius of 15.3 mtrs
- An ergonomically designed dashboard with intelligently placed controls and multi-angle adjustable seats
Service and other goodies-
- A best-in-class service interval of 40,000 kms
- 3-year anti-perforation warranty for the cabin
- 5-year replacement guarantee on the rear LED lights
- 3-year full vehicle warranty and an additional 2-year warranty for driveline
- Support from over 450 full service outlets and specialized Cab repair facilities at select authorized dealer and service outlets
- order spare parts online through an electronic parts catalogue
Ashok Leyland currently enjoys a share of 11% in the ICV segment, the manufacture hopes for an increased share to 30% and the have pinned a lot of hopes on Boss to achieve these numbers.
– By Saravana Priyan