The compact SUV segment is witnessing an increased density of vehicles every passing day. Now Chevrolet has revealed its version which it is calling as ‘TRAX’.
What is TRAX?
Trax is basically a compact SUV which is Chevrolet’s rebadged version of North American 2013 Buick Encore and Opel Mokka.
- This SUV would rival Ford’s EcoSport in many markets of the world.
- GM would premiere TRAX in the forthcoming 2012 Paris Motor Show in September 2012
- Company plans to offer the new TRAX in more than 140 countries, Mexico to be the first to get this.
- GM doesn’t plan to offer this car to USA
- We expect this car to make it to India as well, however it might have to rename the SUV to avoid issues with Tempo as it already had a product named Trax here in India.
- TRAX is a 5 seater
- This is a 4.2 meter long SUV in its current version. It would be worthwhile to see how it would go against EcoSport in India.
- The Opel Mokka is powered by 1.4L petrol and 1.7L diesel engines
- Styling cues from the picture reveals that GM has changed the grille design, revised the headlamps with more pronounced wheel arches
Till this Chevrolet’s compact SUV makes it to India, we would already have Premier Rio, Mahindra mini-Xylo, Ford EcoSport and Renault Duster in the market in this segment. We have also heard about other companies interests in this nascent segment. Stay tuned as we await more information about the car as well as some official information about Chevrolet’s interest in offering this in India.
Also look at 2013 Buick Encore and Opel Mokka on which this car is based (Click to open images in higher resolution).