Continental tyres, one of the world’s leading tyre manufacturer and automotive supplier has started production and distribution of radial truck tyres in the Indian market.
The company conducted an official launch press meet yesterday and invited us for the same. Here are the important pointers we have learnt:
- The company, as of today has an annual production capacity of 2,20,000 radial tyres and has a dealer network of more than 1400 outlets
- Continental has sales and customer service teams in more than 70 cities across the country.
- Earlier in 2011, Continental tyres had acquired their Indian partner Modi Tyres Company Limited in Modipuram for 117.5 crores INR (18.5million euros).
India is the second largest truck tyre market in the Asia-Pacific Region. The company officials on being asked about the timing of their launch, believe that this is the right time for them to start attacking the market with their scientifically developed and locally manufactured products. The company officials also claimed that Continental tyres will soon be the preferred partner in the tyre replacement and original equipment business. This launch also comes in synchronisation with their idea of expansion in growing markets like India.
Several major company officials were present in the event including Dr. Andreas Esser (head of commercial vehicle tyres) and Thierry Wipff (head of manufacturing).
Continental’s initial radial tyre offering in India includes the following segments:
Continental Tyres Which Were Launched
- 10.00R20 HSR2: In the Goods segment the 10.00R20 HSR2 steer tyre which is made to provide durability and mileage.
- 10.00R20 HDR2: The 10.00R20 HDR2 drive tyre has the same benefits as the HSR2 but has a wider tread depth.
- 10.00R20 HSX2: for the Construction segment which provides longer tyre life, retreadability and strong off-road performance.
The company also launched a 295/80R22.5 HSR2 for the luxury coach and people carrier segment which has a wider shoulder for a quiet and comfortable ride. They also plan to launch the 10.00R20 HDX2 tyres for the mining segment in the near future.
The HDR and the HSR2 tyres from the plant in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia have been tested by the company as a part of a trial run. Now the production is being shifted to the Modipuram plant. Apart from these, the company is going to continue selling its existing portfolio of non-radial tyres of the 10.00-20 Conti R, 10.00-20 Conti HL, and 10.00-20 Conti RR.
Experienced staff was brought to India from its other international production sites to train local staff on the new machinery and production techniques. More than 100 local employees were sent to international production sites in Germany, Romania, China and Malaysia. In 2013 the company has sold 7.6 million truck tyres worldwide from its 22 production and development location and employees 44,000 people, manufacturing tyres for trucks, buses, special vehicles, passenger cars, vans, as well as motorcycles and bicycles.
The Continental group’s tyre division is also the official sponsor for the 2014 FIFA World Cup and the 2016 UEFA Euro Cup.