As we had reported that Nissan is planning to launch its low-cost ‘Datsun’ brand in India, is now confirmed by the company. The ‘Datsun’ brand, which existed from 1932 till 1981, would be returning by around 2014 and would take care of the low cost lower segment cars.
- Nissan plans to launch Datsun in India, Indonesia and Russia
- Datsun cars would be built locally to keep costs under check
- Datsun cars would be based on the local market needs
For now, there are 2 small hatchbacks planned by the company both to sit under Nissan’s Micra.
- A sub 4 Lakh hatch (code: K2) would be based on the 2 generation old K11 Nissan Micra. The car would be powered by a 1 Liter petrol engine. This hatch is also expected to be pretty spacious for its segment.
- The sub 3 lakh car (code: I2) would directly compete with the largest seller Maruti’s Alto.
This seems to be an aggresive move by Nissan and chances are ripe that other manufacturers also might respond back. Let us see what the final product holds for us.
Source: AutoCar India