The compact segment has been a virtual gold mine for the manufacturers. The segment star Dzire alone manages more sales than the entire C segment combined! The present number in Compact sedan roll outs tips at a really good 22000 units per month and Hyundai is eager to break out in this most active segment.
Hyundai is setting itself up for the fight in the lucrative Compact Sedan segment and it has started the balls rolling with retiring their low selling entry level sedan –Accent, a good three months back!
“The Accent was discontinued three months ago. At that time, we were doing around 1,000-plus units of the model in India. But its discontinuation throws up an opportunity for us to bring in a sedan in the Accent space.”
Speaking about their further plans in the Compact segment Mr. Rakesh Srivastava also said
“Right now the sub-4 metre segment comprises around 22,000 units per month across the industry, We have the capability and technology to bring in a product in that segment. We would want to do it along with a compact SUV and an MPV.”
Readers of MotorBash will be quite familiar with this development as we have already shared with you detailed stories on the new Grand i10 based Compact Sedan and Compact SUV from Hyundai.
Here is a Quick Recap of the legacy of retiring Hyundai Accent –
The international 2nd generation Accent when it came to Indian soils in 1999, was the second offering from the then nascent Hyundai. The competitors for Accent were the Maruti Suzuki Esteem and Daewoo Cielo. A relatively newer design then with decent interiors and Indian craze for a Sedan at affordable price made Accent a success for Hyundai.
Aging Accent was handed a segment rejig when the third generation global Accent christened in India as Verna replaced it. Prowling the entry level C segment the sedan which in its twilight years saw a peaking 30,000 take homes still counts a healthy 12,000 units sale. With increasing competition from contemporary sedans the dated star with no design makeover or facelift was left staring at gradual death and with the lights finally dying, Accent will go down as one of the most desired sedan of the previous generation.
Dope on The Upcoming Grand i10 based C-sedan
- The Grand i10 inspired contemporary styled sedan will be similar to the hatchback till the B pillar and rear end styling will be revised to include the third box. As with any Hyundai we can expect segment defining equipment and Interiors.
- The engine options are to be the famous 1.2L Kappa2 motor and a larger displacement 1.4L CRDI diesel motor from i20. (More Details)
- The i10 based sedan will share the same wheelbase with the hatchback.
- Launch is expected sometime towards the first half of 2014.
Dope on the Upcoming Compact SUV
- Compact SUV is to be the combined brain child of Hyundai Brazil and Hyundai India.
- A rendering of the SUV from a Brazilian monthly magazine can be referred here.
- Spyshots of the Santa-fe inspired compact SUV has been caught testing in Korea and then in China.
- Under the hood, we might get to see the 1.6 litre mills of the Hyundai Verna.
- Launch is expected sometime in late 2014 or early 2015.
Not much info has been revealed on the upcoming MPV. Keep tuned to MotorBash as we hunt for more…
-by Saravana Priyan