And today was one of the most happening days of the year when two of the most important launches took place – both SUVs. At one end we had the Tata Safari Storme which made way, it was the Mahindra’s Rexton which takes the crown of being more premium.
Rexton is the first product from SsangYong Motors of Korea which Mahindra acquired some time back.
This SUV has a very aggressive starting price tag of Rs. 17.67 Lakhs (Ex-Showroom, Mumbai) for the manual transmission variant and Rs. 19.67 Lakhs for the Automatic variant. Rexton will be assembled at Mahindra’s Chakan plant and we expect more to come from this stable. But a lot would depend upon Rexton’s success.
Now Let’s sum up the features of the newly launched Rexton:
- RX5 (Base Trim with Manual Transmission)
- RX7 (Top Trim with Automatic variant)
Engine & Transmission:
- 2.7-Litre 5 Cylinder DOHC diesel engine, sourced from Mercedes Benz
- Different tuning for the Automatic and Manual variant (Namely, XDi and XVT)
- XDi version produces 162 BHP @ 4,000 RPM and 340 Nm between 1,800 3,250 RPM
- XVT produces 184 BHP @ 4,000 RPM and 402 Nm between 1,600 – 3,000 RPM
- 5-Speed Manual and 5-Speed E-Tronic Automatic Box
- Automatic variant comes with manual mode and winter switch.
- E-tronic shift button on the steering wheels
- Fuel efficiency of 12.4 kmpl (ARAI Certified) for the RX5
- Fuel efficiency of11.18 kmpl (ARAI Certified) for the RX7
- Max speed for the RX5: 180 kmph
- Max speed for the RX7: 194 kmph
- Automatic Headlamps with Projectors
- Rain sensing wipers
- LED Day Time Running Lamps
- LED fog lamps
- LED turn indicators on the ORVMs
- All new front bumper
- New wheel arches
- Z-shapped C-pillar
- Re-shaped tail lamps
Interior Finish & Convenience:
- Premium leather Upholstery
- Lighter shades with improved plastics
- Leather wrapped gear shift knob
- Fully automatic Climate control including second and third row
- Eight-way adjustable driver’s seat
- Leather wrapped steering wheel
- Shift position indicator on the steering wheel
- Memory function with three presets for the driver seat and electrically controllable wing mirrors
- Electronic sunroof with sunblind
- Cruise Control (RX7 only)
- AWD system (RX7 Only)
- Additional metal grain accents on steering wheel and gear knob with chrome
- Rear parking sensors
- Steering mounted audio controls
- State-of-the-art infotainment system with navigation control
- Speed sensitive power steering
- Hill descent control
- Front and side airbags
- ESP, ABS, ARP, ASR
Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton will be officially launched in Delhi tomorrow, with a price tag of Rs. 17.75 Lakhs (Ex-showroom) for the RX5 and Rs. 19.75 Lakhs (Ex-showroom) for the RX7.
This car is sure a potent competitor for cars like Fortuner, Endeavor, Pajero and Santa Fe and at this price point it does ensure it gets some special attention.
We would be covering Rexton’s launch tomorrow from Delhi for a close upfront encounter of the big SUV. Till then, keep tuned..!
Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton photo Gallery: