In conjunction with the government’s announcement to deregulate diesel prices and commence taxing on SUVs, Mahindra & Mahindra has taken a body blow. Most of its products are diesel-powered, and hence the demand for them has taken a hit.
Another challenge for the Indian tractor-to-UVs manufacturer is the cropping up of new competition. The Renault Duster and Ford EcoSport have handed several dents to the Mahindra Quanto, Xylo and others in the cityscape. Many more products are lined up against Mahindra, there by putting huge stress on it.
Pawan Goenka is a man on a mission. The President of M&M’s Automotive and Farm Equipment Sector isn’t going to sit around twiddling his thumbs.
Here’s the outline of their response :
- After having acquired Ssangyong in 2010-11, Mahindra & Mahindra is looking forward to give a boost to its technical expertise. Shared platforms for both products and engines will lead to lower prices, and quicker refresh intervals.
- With Ssangyong’s assistance, Mahindra & Mahindra are planning to work on sprucing up the interiors of their products. They do admit that the fit and finish of their interiors has not been at par with global standards.
- Ssangyong and M&M have put together their hands for new products. Lined up for unveiling are the facelifted editions of Scorpio as well as the Bolero. There is a compact SUV from Ssangyong along with an entry-level SUV.
- Though Mahindra offers great value at ultra-low price points, their quality lags behind. Using Ssangyong’s technical expertise, they aim to end this streak altogether.
A parade of products is about to emerge from Mahindra’s stable.
Here’s a listing, in the probable order of unveiling :
- W105 (Facelifted Scorpio) – June 2014
- 401 (Upgraded Thar) – 2014-2015
- S101 (Micro SUV) – 2015-16
- S 102 (Ssangyong’s version of S101) – 2015-16
- W 202 (Global MPV) – 2015-16
- U 301 (New Bolero) – 2015-16
- U 207 (Xylo Refresh) – 2016
- All New Scorpio – 2017-18
- Korando C – Under Evaluation
- Korando Tourismo Under Evaluation
The boardrooms are buzzing with activity. A stratagem has been drawn up, and has been titled “Promise 2016“. The overall target is to cement their place as the leader in UVs, which had been rocked a bit due to competition. Other important aims include upping the quality of their products, all the while maintaining their value-for-money forte.
Source – Economic Times