For the auto majors, the financial year 2013 ended on a not so satisfactory note. Few car companies did enjoy a dream run but most of them had a hard time convincing customers to buy their cars.The month of March proved to be pretty favorable for the auto makers but overall the year was not a remarkable year for the automobile industry of India. Let’s have a glance at the sales performance of major car companies in India.
Highlights of the Report:
- During this financial year the month of March has recorded a substantial rise in sales (MoM basis) i.e 13.79%. On the other hand it also witnessed a downfall in overall sales of vehicles i.e 13.5% (YoY basis).
- Every car manufacturer except Hyundai and Hindustan Motors has shown a satisfactory rise in the monthly sales figures.
- Leading car manufacturer of India, Maruti Suzuki is on numero-uno position leaving Hyundai at second position and Mahindra and Mahindra at the third one.
- Toyota has grabbed the fourth position by securing good marks over Tata Motors which stands at number five.
- Honda is all set to change the game as the auto maker is inching closer to 5th place. Indeed it is being anticipated that it might grab the place after the launch of Amaze.
- Renault has surprised everyone by showing a dynamic growth of 7.2 times in its sales figures over the past year.
Manufacturewise Sales Report
• Audi: Month of March proved to be very fortunate for the German luxury car manufacture Audi, as it managed to achieve the highest ever monthly sales in the same month. Audi has recorded strongest quarter with a record sale of 2616 units from January to March 2013.
As compared to last year it has attained growth of 15% (2269 units: Jan-Mar 2012). The gross sale of Audi was 1104 units in March 2013 and has recorded a growth of 10% as compared to last year (March 2012: 1002 units). Between April 1st, 2012 and March 31st, 2013, the brand with four rings sold 9350 units.
• Nissan: As per the annual sales report of Nissan, the company has attained the growth of 11% (in comparison to last year). In 2012, the company sold 36,975 units against 33,270 vehicles in 2011.Nissan Sunny, the flagship model of the company sold 24,011 units and compact Micra accounted for 11,454 units.
Nissan Evalia which was introduced in October 2012 attained the sales of 1,396 units. During this financial year, the company has given a consistent sales performance.
• Mercedes- Benz: In the first quarter of year (from Jan to Mar 2013), the company has given a powerful sales performance by selling total 2009 units and attaining a growth of 5.3% year on year. In 2012, it sold total 1908 units (from Jan to Mar 2012).
Thanks to its E class which has played a vital role in enhancing the volume of sales, it is notable that it sold 800 units with an increase of 25% year on year. Dream cars of Mercedes Benz like the AMG range, the SLK-Class and the CLS-Class have attained the growth of 48%(as compared to last year).
• Tata Motors: The company registered total sales of 72,712 vehicles comprising of Tata commercial and passenger vehicles including exports. Domestic sales of Tata commercial and passenger vehicles in the monthof March stood at 69,160 units.
Cumulative sales figures were 810,086 units. Sale of commercial vehicle were 56,813 units. Tata Super Ace, Tata Xenon and Tata 207 attained the sales figure of 6,981units.
• Hyundai: Hyundai Motor India Ltd is the largest passenger car exporter and the second largest car manufacturer of India. In the month of March 2013, the company achieved growth of 12.3 % in exports. Hyundai’s domestic sales were 33,858 units and exports accounted for 22,579 units. With its dynamic performance Hyundai has achieved a lot in market share, in the last quarter.
For the month of March the Elantra sold 546 units where the premium sedan Sonata registered sales of 20 vehicles and SUV Santa Fe recorded 50 units.
• Toyota: As compared to 18,220 units in the month of March in 2012, Toyota Kirloslar Motors sold 19,452 units in March 2013 in the domestic market. Cosequently, it registered a growth of 7%. TKM exported 1,691 vehicles in March and the total sales of the company were 21,143 units incorporating exports.
Toyota has achieved growth inspite of having slow demand in the market, all thanks to newly launched Toyota Etios and Etios Liva which have played a crucial role in enhancing the volume of sales. In March, sales of Etios and Etios Liva were 8,637 units. Sales figures of Innova and Fortuner have also witnessed growth. New norms of budget including increased road tax and increase in excise duty of SUV’s has also helped in clearing the stock of pre-budget vehicles.
• Ford: For Ford, this financial didn’t prove to be very fruitful. Hign interest rates and inflation played a big role in industry slowdown. In domestic and exports, the comapny managed to sale more than 7,400 vehicles in the month of March 2013. Ford India sold 5,271 units in domestic wholesales as compared to 9,026 units a year in March 2012. Export sales stood at 2,228 vehicles against 3,122 units in last year.
This month Ford added a new export market named Gabon.Figo Celebration Edition was launched to celebrate third birthday of the popular car of Ford’s family, Ford Figo.Presently, the popular car is being exported to 36 international markets. Ford has an ace up its sleeve – Ford EcoSport, which is slated to be launched within a couple of months.
• Renault: For Renault, financial year 2013 brought very sweet fruits. The auto maker set a new record of sales and witnessed an eight-fold growth year wise (from 1,005 units in March 2012). In the month of March it sold 8,232 units by achieving all time high sales. Sales of Duster, Fluence and Scala broke all the earlier records.
It is being anticipated that with this pace of growth Renault will easily make its mark among top ten manufacturers of Indian automobile market. Duster achieved the sales figure of 6,313 units, Scala stood at 1,026 units, Pulse at 541 nos, Fluence sold 337 units and Koleos sold 15 nos.
• Maruti Suzuki: The leading car maker managed to sale 119,937 units in the month of March 2013. It comprises of 12, 047 units of exports. MSIL closed the fiscal year with the total sales of 1, 171, 434 units by attaining a growth of 3.3% over the last year.
In domestic market, a growth of 4.4% was recorded over the previous year as during the financial year 2012-2013 the company managed to sale 1,051,046 units. Sales of Maruti 800, Alto, A-Star and Wagon R stood at 45,047 units. Maruti Swift Dzire witnessed a growth of 22 % by achieving the sales figure of 20,078 units.On the other hand Maruti SX4 sold only 903 units as compared to 1520 units last year.
• Mahindra: Mahindra Bolero has always been in great demand, this year the sales of this utilitarian vehicle touched the mark of 12,000 units. Despite of this favourable situation, sales of Mahindra XUV 500 and Quanto witnessed a drop.
But the best part is that Mahindra and Mahindra attained a rise of 10.36 % in sales (in MoM basis) and 16.24 % (in YoY basis).
• Hindustan Motors:Sales graph of Hindustan Motors has declined by 11.04% in MoM basis but increased by 45.88% in YoY basis.
• Fiat :Auto maker Fiat has shown a good rise of 41.79% in its sales figures in MoM basis. Unfortunately it has also witnessed a decline in sales of 67.35% in YOY basis.
• Volkswagen: In MoM basis, the car manufacturer Volkswagen has shown a rise in sales of 11.98% but they have lost their grip on sales volume by 21.86 % against last year.
• Skoda: It has also witnessed a rise in sales by 11.98 % in MoM basis but in YoY comparison it has shown a massive drop in sales figures by 56.89%.
• Chevrolet: All thanks to Chevrolet Sail sedan which has played a vital role in increasing sales by striking more and more people. It sales chart is rising day by day. At the same time Sail U-VA has also achieved a good figure of sales in the month of March but it didn’t match up the level of its sedan version because of the stiff competition in this segment.
Chevy attained a growth of 27.78% in MoM basis but a downfall of 15.26 % in YoY comparison.
• Honda: The auto manufacturer has performed well with its Brio and the City in the month of March. Honda Amaze, which was launched this month is already running in thousands of bookings and it is expected to be the mainstay of Honda in the times to come.
It is also notable that the Civic and Jazz were not dispatched from Honda plant due to zero demand in the month of March. In a nutshell, Honda has witnessed a rise of 54.29% in sales (in MoM basis) but on the other hand it has also faced a downfall of 8.82 % (in YoY basis).
Top 20 bestselling cars:
Car Name No. of Units Sold in March 2013
- Maruti Alto( Numero Uno) 27356
- Swift DZire 20078
- Swift 19654
- Wagon R 14681
- Bolero 11675
- Hyundai i10 8686
- Hyundai Eon 8604
- Toyota Innova 8422
- i20 6988
- Renault Duster 6313
- MarutiErtiga 6200
- Maruti Omni 5575
- Tata Indica+ Vista 5304
- Maruti Ritz 4890
- Toyota Etios 4742
- Scorpio 4658
- Verna 4598
- Figo 4381
- Santro 4080
- Eeco 3931
- DZire has acquired the second position leaving behind its hatchback version Maruti Swift.
- Sales numbers of Mahindra Bolero could not touch the mark of 12,000 exactly.
- Duster has managed to grab the tenth position this time
- Astonishingly, Etios sedan is on the 15th place by making a big leap of 9 places.
- The flagship model of Mahindra and Mahindra, XUV5OO failed to make its place among top 20 best-selling cars of the year.