So, we get a date to finally hinge our hopes upon. Autocar reports that the new Maruti Alto 800 would be launched on 16th of October in India.
They have taken the car out for a test drive and here are the important revelations which we did not know till now:
- Alto 800 would launch on 16th October officially across the nation.
- Would be powered by the same 796cc 12-valve 3-cylinder engine.
- Power output remains the same at 47PS but torque figures are 11% higher at ~69Nm
- Sporty touches to add more aspirational value to the car
- Weight reductions carried over the car.
- Interiors are more contemporary and better in quality
- Internal space only marginally better, still cramped!
- Performance improvement could be felt specially on mid and higher revs
- Improved gearbox
- Good ride quality
Now, what we already knew about the car is how it looked from inside through these interior spy pic shots. And, we know that Maruti is preparing to load the car with optional Airbags. Also, there is a CNG Alto 800 in works.
The only thing that remains is its price. Our estimates point to a slightly high-ish starting price tag of somewhere around the2.4-2.5 Lakh (ex-showroom) mark unless Maruti offers an immensely bare-bone version.
If our guesstimates go true, it would be very interesting to see if Maruti would continue offering the existing Alto in the base trims to ensure a lower entry price tag.
Maruti is also doling out a discount of upto Rs 51,000 on the current Alto.
Keep Abreast | Like us on FaceBook