Launched in 2010, Mahindra Thar is a fairly capable off-roader which is available in two engine options. After minor refreshments in between Mahindra is working on a detailed update to their lone off-roader in the stable.
A test mule has been spotted and pictured at 4×4 India Facebook Group which reveals quite a few changes. They include…
- Redesigned front bumper made of plastic as well as metal
- Top spec trim with CRDe mill to get fender extensions
- Bigger footrests expected
- Redesigned soft top
It is on the interiors we see bigger changes…
- Two-tone dashboard in a new design avatar
- Rounded air con vents with false aluminium paint finish
- New instrumentation console with triple barrelled design bordered with chrome
- Gear lever, steering wheel and air con controls borrowed from the humble Bolero
- Newer seats which may be more comfort centric than the ones in the present generation
- Two tiny cup holders near the gear lever
The current Thar is available with a 2.5 Liter DI engine producing 63 bhp of maximum power and 182.5 Nm of peak torque and a 2.5 Liter CRDe mill producing 105 bhp of power and 247 Nm of torque.
Launch of the new Thar is expected soon and it appears that Mahindra is focusing on improving the creature comforts of this rugged off-roader. Also expect to see improvements to the overall quality of vehicle and we hope Mahindra doesn’t tinker too much with its pricing.
Update: At the time of writing this news post, new spy pics and details have been posted by Overdrive.in.
They say that the new Thar will come with an optional hard top and a few other changes. However, the biggest revelation (take it as a rumor for now) they claim is that the new Thar will come with Scorpio’s 2.2 liter MHawk engine with revised power output and gear ratios for off-roading needs.
Further they say that the new Thar will get an Mlocker (provides better traction on slippery terrain) which will be optional. It is getting interesting, isn’t it…?