Hyundai India has launched the i20 Active at starting prices of Rs 6.38 lakhs. Essentially a glorified Elite i20, the company aims to sell 1,000 monthly units of this cross hatchback, which we believe must be a cakewalk!
Bringing in a sports style makeover to the premium hatchback, the company is primarily targeting the youth.
The car remains the same mechanically. It gets a choice of two engines, one petrol and one diesel:
- A 1.2 litre DOHC petrol with dual VTVT producing 83 PS of power at 6,000 rpm and 115 Nm of torque at 4,000 rpm. This engine is mated with a 5 speed manual transmission and has a rated fuel efficiency of 17.19 kmpl
- The diesel continues to be the 1.4 liter U2 CRDi mill which pushes out 90 PS of power at 4,000 rpm and 220 Nm of torque in the range of 1,500-2,750 rpm. This engine is mated with a 6 speed manual gearbox with a sporty styled gear knob. The diesel claims a fuel efficiency of 21.19 kmpl
Following the Fluidic Sculpture 2.0 design philosophy, the company has brought about quite a few changes. The car gets projector headlamps with LED daytime running lights and positioning lamps in all variants apart from the base. Circular fog lamps (along with the rear reflectors) though, do not go well with the overall looks of the car. The two tone bumper and the skid plates with tusk bar do look nice in flesh. It also gets glossy black C pillar and a cheap-looking fuel cap.
Interiors include two colour options, Tangerine Orange and Aqua Blue. Apart from the host of features present in the hatchback version, the i20 Active also gets a cluster ioniser. The legroom is pretty decent and the rear gets 60:40 split foldable rear seats, though only in the top variant. The boot space too is a decent 285 litres. Their is the presence of roof rails to enhance those cross looks.
i20 Active Colours:
The i20 active is available in the following six colours:
- Sleek Silver
- Red Passion
- Earth Brown
- Retro Shine
- Polar White
- Phantom Black
The base variant is devoid of ABS and airbags whereas the top end diesel also gets a front passenger side airbag.
i20 Active Variants & Prices:
The car has been priced at a slight premium than the hatchback:
- i20 Active Base Petrol: Rs 6,38,586
- i20 Active S Petrol : Rs 7,09,735
- i20 Active Base Diesel: Rs 7,63,228
- i20 Active S Diesel: Rs 8,34,337
- i20 Active SX Diesel: Rs 8,89,427
- The petrol is not offered in top SX trim
- There is a whooping difference of Rs 1.25 Lakhs between a petrol and its corresponding diesel variant!
- Alloys are standard. The difference is that the base variant gets 15 inch clean silver alloys whereas the rest of the two higher variants come equipped with 16 inch diamond cut alloy wheels.
- Advanced Supervision Cluster, which tells additional details like Service reminder, steering position reminder, parking sensor display etc, is available only on the top of the line SX trim.
- As we said, rear seat 60:40 split is available only on the top SX which is surprising!
- Rear wipe and wash is also present only in SX