Nissan hasn’t had a really great stint in India yet. None of their current products could be really called as ‘stars’. None of them could do what the Duster did for Renault.
But Nissan plans to register a 10 percent growth in 4 years time frame and has a slew of new strategies and products lined up. The game changer for them could just be the upcoming low cost Datsun brand which is slated for a 2014 launch. Add to that the products that would be brought under the regular Nissan badge.
Autocar India reports that Nissan would come up with as many as 10 new launches for India by the year 2016. We also have shared recent spy photos of a smaller Micra. Since the Renault – Nissan JV has already announced that future products will not be badge-engineered and will be completely different, we expect Nissan to come up with something different.
Of what is known currently, the following are almost certain to make it to Indian roads at different times.
- Micra CVT: First launch from Nissan will be an Automatic Version of the Micra. A CVT gearbox will be coupled with the current petrol avatar of the car, competing with the likes of Ritz and Brio Automatic.
- Sunny CVT: The second in the pipeline will be Sunny Automatic which has already been caught testing many months back. An X-Tronic CVT gearbox will be placed under the hood and according to the current ‘badge engineering’ norms, the Sunny Automatic is expected to be priced below the recently launched Scala CVT.
- Compact SUV: Third offering from Nissan’s stable will be a compact SUV (Code: NH87). This mini SUV will be Nissan’s play for the Duster. But as understood, this SUV from Nissan will be distinctive from the Duster. This car will be priced below the Duster and will hit the showrooms by the end of 2013.
- Datsun B-Segment hatch: As for the remaining launches, Datsun will fill in the place. As we have mentioned earlier, a Datsun hatch (Code: K2), priced around Rs. 4 Lakhs mark, will be introduced in the Indian car market by July 2013 and launched by 2014. It is expected to be spacious and powered by a 1.0-Liter petrol engine.
- Datsun A-Segment small hatch: This one, called as the I2 prototype will sit in the A-segment and will compete with Alto and Eon. This might also use the same engine as K2 and is expected to be priced very aggresively.
- MPV Based on K2: Nissan will be working on an MPV based on the above mentioned K2 hatch and will target Ertiga for its throne. We expect a bigger engine for the 7-seater capacity it will boast of.
Rest of the lineup will get clearer in due coarse of time and the response the above products will generate, obviously along with the market dynamics in the coming times. The company is trying to increase its market share by bringing in new products. Nissan is also planning to increase its reach to people by increasing the number of dealerships and take the numbers to 300 from current 95.
Also Read: List of all 11 Fiat’s Upcoming Launches
Source: Autocar India