So here it is..! Nissan’s boss Carlos Ghosn, in an exclusive event in Delhi has premiered the Datsun brand to the world. In the process he also unveiled the first car that will be coming to India – Datsun GO.
Datsun GO is based on Nissan Micra and will come along with a 1.2L petrol engine. Power details have not been made public yet. Here are more details:
- Datsun GO is fully engineered in India.
- All future Datsun cars will be manufactured completely in India.
- Datsun promises durability, comfort, fuel efficiency and the presence of all the important features
- GO is a 5-seater hatchback which comes with 1.2L engine that will be mated to a manual transmission (only).
- GO will come with a mobile docking station which will allow users to connect smartphones.
- GO will be priced under Rs 4 Lakh and according to Datsun, it will be an offering above the existing cars in that segment.
- Datsun GO will go on sale early next year in 2014.
Datsun GO is the first car from Datsun’s stables that will be sold in India and there will be more cars coming from this budget brand. Nissan will launch as many as 10 new car models in 2 years and it will include Datsun branded cars as well.
Since the recently launched Micra Active starts at Rs 3.5 Lakhs ex-showroom Delhi, we feel Datsun must undercut this pricing by a few thousand rupees. If Datsun can price it somewhere around the Rs 3 Lakh mark, this car appears to have all the potential to change Nissan’s fortunes in India.