Intensifying its product offensive, Mercedes-Benz has commenced local assembly of its E-Class. The very first E-Class rolled out of the Pune factory on Thursday. The new E-Class is available in three variants, with a starting price of 41.5 lakhs INR for the E200 CGI (Petrol) version. The E250 CDI Avantgarde (Diesel) version will retail at a slightly higher 44.48 lakhs INR. There’s also a Special Edition model which will set you back by 49.9 lakhs.
The E-Class is one of the workhorses for the Stuttgart-based luxury automaker, comprising a significant chunk of the sales pie. It is infact the largest selling luxury car model in India for the company. Upgrading this model has been no easy task for Merc, with about 2000 parts differing from the previous model. Another notable and praiseworthy fact has been the keenness with which Merc has introduced this model in India. It was showcased at the Detroit Auto Show in January, followed by a commercial launch in Europe by May. Within a few months of its international presence, by July, it has made its way across to India.
We bring you a quick impression of the All new E-Class.
- This facelifted version is given a more sculpted and toned look by the design team. The creases are now sharper, the front bumper being quite the exemplary one.
- The headlamps aren’t far behind! Now with each cluster posing as a pair instead of one, they exude oomph with the addition of the DRL strips. The tail lamps are built completely using LEDs, featuring bits and pieces of integrated fibre optic technology, and yeah, they look cool after nightfall !!
- The New E-Class provides a grille with the Central Star Design for the first time. The interiors are more spruced up now, with the addition of man-made ARTICO Leather upholstery.
- A panoramic sunroof provides a breathtaking view, and a trapezoidal information display (COMAND Multimedia Interface) provides a better look to the reworked central console.
- And there’s more too !! The steering wheel on the new E-Class is different from that on the older one, and it boasts of paddle shifts, all as a standard option.
- A new interior trim line called the “Open Pore Ash Wood trim” on the dashboard is the first such addition in any luxury car in India. It is made up of brushed Oakwood which gives a natural matt finish.
- There is a classy silver chrome frame that holds the dashboard together, and guess what?? There is ambient lighting beneath the dashboard trim as well as the four door trim strips.
- The seats have a memory function as well as a raised lumbar support, thus taking up the comfort level. The driver’s seat can be electrically adjusted for seat height, headrest angle etc.
- Along with the usual Internet as well as Bluetooth connectivity, the E-Class COMAND Function has a very advanced telematics and navigation system which lists various points of interest like hotels, ATMs and petrol bunks.
UNDER THE HOOD:-
- The E250 CDI Avantgarde (Diesel) is powered by a 2143 cc V4 which belts out 500 Nm of torque @1600-1800 rpm and a power of 150 kW@4200 rpm.
- The E200 CGI has a capacity of 1991 cc, churning out 300 Nm of torque @1200-4000 rpm, and a power of 135 kW@5500 rpm.
- The E250 CDI does a 0-100 sprint within 7.2 seconds, and the E200 CGI doesn’t lag behind with a 0-100 timing of 7.9 seconds.
- However, these cars are fuel-efficient too. The fuel-efficiency of the E200 CGI has gone up by 8% to 13.8 kmpl. Reduced engine weights and lowered internal friction has resulted in the boost in fuel-efficiency figures.
- The 7G-TRONIC PLUS transmission as well as the torsion dampers results in the E-Class models being comfortable to drive, and fuel-efficient as well.
- A fact worthy of mention is that the E-Class models are now much more aerodynamic, possessing Cd values in the range of 0.26-0.28. All these features go a long way in placing the E-Class cars among the most eco-friendly ones.
SAFETY AND INTELLIGENT ASSISTANCE:-
- A slew of exciting features are incorporated, with the Eco Start Stop function as a standard, which is claimed to improve fuel efficiency.
- Other ones include the COMAND Online with remote control, Attention Assist, Intelligent lighting systems featuring variable light distribution with cornering function and adaptive headlamp system as well as a reverse parking camera and a tyre pressure loss warning system.
- Not quite at par with the Volvos, but very much there!! Mercedes-Benz is providing an adaptive dual stage airbag system at the front for both the driver as well as the passenger. There also exist side-impact airbags for the driver and the front passenger, and window airbags will cushion the impact for the rear passengers.
- Other safety features like Anti-Skid Resistance (ASR), Electronic Stability Program (ESP) and Brake Assist increase the control of the driver over the vehicle in critical road situations. There’s also an active bonnet system which protects pedestrians in an event of a crash.
- Also included in the package are Mercedes-Benz optimized systems like PRE-SAFE® technology and NECK PRO – crash responsive head restraints for the front seats. Belt tensioner and belt force limiter for the front as well as rear seats are present, which along with a three-stage impact protection front structure takes safety to an all-new high.
OTHER CONVENIENT FEATURES:-
- The E-Class is equipped with a full-sized spare wheel, best fit for long distance travel in Indian conditions.
- The boot size of the E-Class is a humongous 540 litres, even after being provided with a full-sized spare wheel!!
- The “Active Parking Assist” associated with PARKTRONIC lends unmatched convenience to the driver in crowded urban conditions. Not only does it help in selecting the most suitable parking space, it is also equipped with active steering intervention to create a more reliable mechanism for better driving comfort.