Tata’s stall at the Expo has on display a souped-up concept out of the old faithful – Sumo. The 4×4 vehicle is being called as the Sumo Extreme and is based on a version of Sumo kitted up for army duties.
Here is a feature list of Sumo 4WD Extreme:
- 4 roof mounted lamps
- roof-mounted rails
- set of 5 Maxxis all-terrain tubeless tyres with aggressive tread pattern
- new alloys wheels
- all-round body cladding
- LED daytime running lights
- Roof mounted Dual AC
- USB and Bluetooth connectivity
- One touch power windows
The Sumo Extreme is also endowed with a thoughtful skid plate up front and a rear central towing hook for trailers. The steering is power assisted and the braking is taken care of by discs in the front wheels and drums on the rear.
While the Sumo army comes with a turbocharged intercooled 3.0 liter 114 bhp diesel, the Extreme lets you down with a miserly 85PS. The 2956 cc CR4 engine however delivers a good amount of grunt of 250 Nm. The transmission is 5-speed manual with overdrive. The shift-on-the-run 4×4 is selectable via a knob on the dashboard in the Army version and the Extreme most likely follows suit.
Extreme comes with a double wishbone with coil springs and anti-roll bars up front and a simple and sturdy parabolic leaf at the rear. The vehicle weighs in more than 2.5 tons (gross) with a 65 liter fuel tank.
On the interiors, Sumo Extreme gets black theme, black-red upholstery and light coloured headliner for roominess.
Tata, in its product note, has mentioned that they have ‘launched’ the utility vehicle and we do not see the word ‘concept’ anywhere because of which we infer this may just be a production vehicle and normal customers like you and us can go ahead and buy it up. If that is the case, we do see competition to Gurkha, which obviously is a much more capable off-roader. But how about a more value for money offering?
Tata Sumo Extreme Specifications
- Engine 2956 cc CR4 engine
- Max Power 85 PS @ 3000 rpm
- Max Torque 250 Nm @ 1000-2000 rpm
- Gear Box G-76-5/4.1 with overdrive
- Axle Rear Powered Axle
- Wheel Base (mm) 2425
- Vehicle Dimension L – 4258 x W – 1700 x H-1925
- GVW 2600 kgs
- Kerb Weight 1820 kgs
- Payload 780 kgs
- Brakes Front – disc & Rear – drum
- Clutch 260 mm dia High performance
- Tyres R15
- Steering Power assisted
- Suspension Front – double wishbone type with coil springs & anti roll bar;
- Rear – parabolic leaf spring
- Fuel Tank Capacity 65 ltrs
Tata Sumo Extreme 4X4 Picture Gallery