So, its here… its finally here…! The new City incorporating Honda’s new ‘Exciting H!!!’ design philosophy is out. And tell you what, it looks good. It looks much better than the City it is set to replace.
Another good bit of news is that for the first time ever the City will have the option of a diesel powerplant – the 1.5-litre i-DTEC diesel engine.
This mid-size petrol sedan has always been a darling with our Indian customers and with the introduction of the diesel variant, Honda has addressed the longstanding demand of Indian consumers to have the City with a diesel engine.
The first diesel car from Honda India is the Amaze, which has sold over 50,000 units in 8 months and major percentage of buyers have opted for the diesel variant. Honda is confident that the same will happen with the demand for City and claims that the diesel City will be the most fuel efficient car in its class.
Here are the important bits from City’s Unveiling event in Delhi today:
- New City launches in January 2014 in India
- Honda officially declares that ‘pre launch’ bookings of City have started across the nation.
- New City has been developed at Honda’s R&D in Japan after careful study in India and other ASEAN Countries
- India is the chosen country by Honda to showcase and world premiere the car in.
- New City will be sold in 60 markets across the world
- India will be the first country to get the diesel engine option
- New City is the first Honda car in India that adopts Honda’s new “Exciting H Design” philosophy.
- Honda also promises class leading interior space
- At 4440mm & 1695mm, New City is exactly similar to the outgoing model in length and width respectively.
- However, it is 10mm higher (1495mm) and more importantly gets a 50mm extension in wheelbase (2600mm)
- Honda continues with the same 1.5L i-VTEC petrol motor apart from the diesel
- Honda also tells us that till now they have sold as many as 4.3 lakh City’s in India
Honda City’s Indian Tryst:
- January 1998: 1st Gen Honda City Launched
- November 2003: 2nd Gen City Launched
- September 2008: 3rd Gen City Launched
- January 2014: 4th Gen City will be Launched
The new City shares the same platform as the upcoming new-generation Jazz and stands taller and wider than the old model. Shoulder room and legroom has also been enhanced.
Equipment levels are at par with C segment cars with 5-inch LED display for audio system with hands-free call function, steering mounted controls, rear parking sensors, rear air conditioning vents, 8-speakers, four power outlets, and multi-function instrumentation. The new City’s AC could be controlled by touch and for those long drives the car will also have cruise control function.
Undoubtedly, Honda’s new design philosophy has really uplifted this ever popular saloon into an altogether different level.
The asking price has not yet been disclosed but Honda is accepting advanced bookings. So, if you have been waiting for a real good mid-size car, your wait is over.
We will be adding more details from the event along with other details shortly.
Also Read: List of All Honda’s Upcoming Products