After the launch of EcoSport in India in a couple of months, the most awaited compact SUV will be Maruti’s XA-Alpha for sure. Through one of our sources we have got a few sneaking bits to share with all of you.
What is XA Alpha?
If you are unaware, Maruti displayed its version of compact SUV which they called as XA-Alpha. XA-Alpha was showcased at last year’s Auto Expo 2012 in Delhi in its concept form. It will be a utility vehicle which will rival the likes of Duster and EcoSport in India.
And here we list a few features of XA-Alpha
- The project has been codenamed as YAD
- XA-Alpha will be a sub 4 meter car and hence will enjoy the least 12% excise duties like EcoSport
- The not-so-good news is that, launch of XA-Alpha might only happen towards the end of 2014 or early 2015. That means it is still some time away and the current crop of similar cars can take a sigh of relief. But we expect Maruti Suzuki to speeden up the development.
- As of now, we have only got information about diesel plans. We are unsure about its gasoline variants
- XA-Alpha is planned to be made available in VDI, ZDI and ZDI+ trims. This gives us a hint that Maruti might not want to price it very competitively.
- It will have two row of seats with 60-40 split feature.
- Front seats are expected to be pretty similar to Maruti Dzire and armrest is available only for the top ‘Z’ variants – ZDI and ZDI+
Apart from this, we already know the following official details about XA Alpha concept from the official press release in Auto Expo 2012:
- Overall Length: 4000mm
- Over Width: 1900 mm
- Overall Height: 1600mm
- Seating Capacity : 5 persons
- Tires: 255/50 R19
- Wheelbase: 2500mm
We can expect a few changes to these dimensions in the production version. Maruti providing 255mm tyres looks a little far fetched and we expect gruesome trimming on this. At 1600mm height of XA-Alpha concept is 95mm lower than Duster’s 1695mm (including roofrails). Since Duster is already pretty aptly heightened, XA-Alpha might also gain on its height in the final production form.
You read these revelations first at MotorBash.com. Keep tuned for more as we try to dig deep and bring more on eagerly awaited XA-Alpha.