If there is one product that is not doing the trick for Maruti, that has to be their mid sized sedan SX4. Despite the presence of a potent diesel mill, SX4 has not been able to do any kind of magic which the company expects of its cars.
Very recently Maruti launched a minor facelift for SX4 which was a basic niptuck job and a few addition of features. This facelift might have given the car a mid-life refresh but will it bring the desired volumes still, remains a question to be seen. However, today we have a few revelations regarding SX4.
Maruti is preparing the next-Gen SX4 for India and the car is expected to be based on the S-Cross concept which Suzuki unveiled a few months back. We have managed to get the following details on the car under development:
- Next Gen SX4 that is under development at Manesar plant has been codenamed as YL-1 and it is called as ‘X1’ by MSIL locally.
- Maruti plans to launch the new car somewhere around the 3rd quarter of 2014
- Next-Gen SX4 will come with a lot of luxurious features from sedans of a segment higher.
- It will get Seat heaters, leather seat covers etc. (Heated seats might be for export markets)
- New SX4 will also get rear seat with armrest and cup holders along with on-board diagnostics
- It will be exported to a few Gulf and western countries
Currently, we are unsure if there will be any changes made to the powertrains of the new SX4. But as soon as we get more scoop on the new SX4, we will bring it to you. First!
Till then, keep tuned!