After some amount of sporadic titillation, GM India has finally taken the wraps off the New Chevrolet Cruze facelift. You can call it a soft launch if you wish to as the confirmation press releases arrived yesterday evening.
Despite a huge corporate fraud threatening to eclipse their top management, GM India seems unfazed. Lowell Paddock, President and Managing Director of GM India, was upbeat when he stated that the Chevrolet Cruze has been quite a revelation ever since it was launched in India in 2009. With a trailblazing performance combined with competition-killing looks, Cruze was a hot favourite of the premium segment of Executive Sedans.
It is no wonder, thus, that it remains the largest selling Chevrolet product throughout the world!! Here are the important bits about Cruze facelift…
Chevrolet Cruze retains its striking road presence and doesn’t really undergo much of a change. The basic shape remains unchanged, whereas the designers have gone for an overhaul of the minute details that were all around the car. However, we aren’t really complaining about the lack of a completely fresh design as the Cruze still does manage to look stylish and eye-catching!!
Here’s what we get in the All-New Cruze :
- Dual-Port front grille with the trademark Chevrolet “Gold Bowtie”
- Retweaked Front and Rear Bumpers
- Slight Change in the Headlamp design (Chevrolet calls them ” New Dual bezel design Headlamps ” )
- Stylish new alloy wheels (we like them more than the older ones)
- Newer fog lamps with chrome garnish around them (This is probably the most noticeable change)
Cruze’s style statement was always a perfect balance between the fluidic lines that a prominent South-Korean Carmakers swear by and the straight, unassuming lines adopted by some German brands. Cruze was always muscular, imposing and intimidating with its wide shoulders and an even wider profile. However, it wasn’t a burly, unkempt beast. It had definitive creases running all around its body, giving the impression of a carefully sculptured torso.
New Cruze retains that charisma, and why not…we can even say it takes it forward.
INTERIORS AND COMFORT
The good work done by the old Chevy Cruze continues here, too!! Slip inside the Cruze and you will be taken over by the combo of Jet-Black Interiors (we love them over the beige-flurry in this segment) and Ice-Blue Ambient Lighting. The twin-cockpit design is inspired from a high and mighty car, quite above the Cruze in the pecking order.
A six-way adjustable driver’s seat ends up pampering the driver to the fullest, and hey, there is a dead-pedal too for those long, seemingly endless cruises. The three-spoke steering wheel is ergonomically designed and has a thicker rim for comfortable grabbing.
Here are the other mood-uplifting features that you get on the Cruze:
- Power-operated windows
- Push-Button Start
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Auto-Dimming Inside Rear-view Mirror
- Steering-Wheel Mounted Cruise Control
- Three-Gauge Instrument Cluster with Ice-Blue illumination
- Central Console with integrated infotainment display, Radio and HVAC controls
- Bluetooth Music streaming feature also present
MIGHTY AND BRAWNY
The new Chevrolet Cruze continues with the 2.0-litre VCDi engine which delivers 166PS of sheer power, making it the most powerful diesel car in its class. The icing on the cake is the 380Nm of torque which makes for a heart-thumping ride. The advanced engine management system, coupled with the high-performance variable geometry turbo-charged common rail direct injection (CRDI) system ensures that fun-factor in every ride and frankly speaking it is the most fun-to-drive car in its segment (We haven’t driven the new Octavia yet!).
The engine is available with the options of both 6-speed manual as well as 6-Speed automatic transmissions. They are claimed to ensure seamless gear changes with instant torque delivery for smoother acceleration and punchy overtaking maneuvers.
The other notable features are :
- Electronic automatic transmission control system offers clutch-to-clutch shift operation for precision gear shifting
- Wide gear ratio ensures faster acceleration
- A sixth gear for increased fuel economy at cruising speeds
- Specially engineered wider track, stiff body structure, quick-acting steering and braking system for advanced road handling, improved aerodynamic performance and greater sensitivity to deformities on the roads
- Gas-charged McPherson strut type front suspension, U-shaped rear suspension with torsion beams and gas-charged shock absorber ensures smooth rides
- Hydraulic power rack-and-pinion power steering is tuned for more responsiveness with quick-reacting ratio
- A four-wheel disc brake set-up provides excellent stopping and stable braking capability.
However, the Cruze isn’t all about brute force. It has got nimble hands for protection of both passengers as well as pedestrians. Read through the safety features below :
- Dual front airbags and two side airbags (newly introduced on the top LTZ variant) for safety in a high-impact collision
- Strong and rigid “Safety Cage” has reinforced pillars with tubular bars providing optimum protection to passengers
- The front and rear crumple zone maximizes safety by absorbing the impact energy in a collision
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS) provides excellent braking efficiency and shorter stopping distances and better control on slippery surfaces
- Passive Entry Passive Start (PEPS) automatically controls the central locking system, anti-theft alarm and ignition
- Pedestrian protection design of the hood and related hinge structures reduce the chance of pedestrian injury in case of a crash
- A child seat specifically designed in the rear seating area offers protection for children at all times
Prices for the new 2013 Chevrolet Cruze Facelift:
Here are the prices of the different trims :
- Chevrolet Cruze LT (MT) – 13,75,580/-
- Chevrolet Cruze LTZ (MT) – 15,25,573/-
- Chevrolet Cruze LTZ (AT) – 16,15,933/-
Are you impressed with the New Chevrolet Cruze facelift and will you consider it over Octavia and Elantra?
If not, then Chevrolet is busy preparing the all-New Cruze for a launch sometime in 2015, wait for that!
Chevrolet Cruze Facelift Brochure:
Click on the following pic to open Cruze facelift’s Brochure in PDF
New Chevrolet Cruze Facelift Picture Gallery