Mahindra S201 will be launched after the Marazzo…
We already know that Mahindra is readying a new competitor for the compact SUV segment. This new car, codenamed the Mahindra S201, will be based on the SsangYong Tivoli. It will compete against the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza, Ford Ecosport, Tata Nexon and, to a certain extent, the Hyundai Creta.
Now, the car has been caught testing again and that too with the segment leader, the Vitara Brezza. Spy pics of the car were shared in a story done by Rushlane. The car in these pics appears to be production ready. At the name reveal of Marazzo, Mahindra confirmed that S201 will be next in line for launch, after Marazzo. There is also a speculation that the car will be named XUV300. Thus, it should have some commonality, in terms of the design language, with the XUV500. This will also help Mahindra in leveraging the success and recall of the XUV brand for the new product.
Mahindra S201 Highlights
Mahindra S201 will be by & large similar to the SsangYong Tivoli with exceptions of some cosmetic changes to make it more “Mahindra”. Here is what we know about the car till now:
- The car will feature a completely redesigned front grill to incorporate the Mahindra design language & branding. As said earlier, this should be mostly in lines with the XUV500.
- It will feature a projector headlight unit with LED DRL’s.
- S201 will have exactly the same design on the sides as Tivoli, sporting big wheel arches.
- The car is expected to feature 17-inch diamond cut alloy wheels which might be on offer only on the top end variant.
- It will come with a completely redesigned rear end with an all-new tail light cluster. This will help make it more Mahindra’esk.
- The car is expected to feature exactly the same interior design & features as the Tivoli with exception of Mahindra badging instead of SsangYong.
- Tivoli is famous for its great inside space and we can expect the same from S201 too.
- The car will have a wide enough rear seat to carry three adults with ease.
- It will come loaded with features like push-button start, leather seats, sunroof and 7 airbags.
- The SUV will get a two pod analogue instrument cluster with a MID placed in between the meters.
- The international model comes with a black & grey interior but, S201 will feature a dual tone black & beige one, something which Indians love.
- The centre console will feature a piano black finish and steering wheel will feature audio, cruise & MID control buttons.
- Features like dual-zone climate control, 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system (Mahindra’s version), cruise control, rain sensing wipers, auto headlights, reverse camera and all-round parking sensors from the international spec Tivoli are expected to be offered on S201 as well.
Mahindra S201 Engine & Transmission
Mahindra S201 is expected to come powered by a 1.5L diesel engine with a speculated power figure of 113BHP. There is also a speculation of a 1.2L 3 cylinder turbo petrol engine to be on offer. The car will come with a 6-speed manual transmission. We expect Mahindra to include autobox also as an option. Though the international version of the car comes with offroad hardware like an all-wheel-drive system and a differential lock, we do not expect Mahindra to bring it to India even as an option (at least initially).
Looking at features of the car and if Mahindra ends up pricing it well, it definitely has a potential to disrupt the compact SUV segment.