India’s favourite D-segment SUV, the Toyota Fortuner is back in its new avatar. With a price tag starting at Rs 25.92 lakhs (ex-showroom, Delhi) it is considerably more premium than the outgoing version. Booking and deliveries will start from November 7, 2016. Let’s have a look at how the new one stands:
Powertrain options include the bigger 2.8-litre diesel mill a 2.7-litre petrol mill. The smaller 2.4-litre diesel will not be available, at least for now. These are the same mills which power the new generation Innova Crysta.
- A 2.8 litre in-line four cylinder diesel mill churning out 177 PS of maximum power at 3,400 rpm. Torque output in the manual version (6-speed) stands at 420 Nm and 450 Nm in the automatic (6-speed) in a very usable range of 1,600 to 2,400 rpm. This one is available both in 2WD and 4WD options.
- The petrol is a 2.7-litre mill producing 166 PS of power and 245 Nm of torque. Transmission options include 5-speed manual and a 6-speed auto unit. This one though is available only as a two-wheel drive.
Toyota’s high safety policy continues with the new Fortuner. It gets 7 airbags, Vehicle Stability control, Brake Assist (not available in 2WD models), ABS and EBD. It also gets whiplash lessening system for front seats, Hill climb assist control (not in 2WD manual), downhill assist (only in 4WD) and impact absorbing structure with pedestrian protection support.
Oh yes, the new generation Fortuner is loaded to the gills-
- Bi-beam LED projector headlamps with daytime running lights
- Smart entry with push-button start/stop
- Puddle lamps in ORVMs
- Fully automatic backdoor
- Electronically adjustable and retractable ORVMs
- Dark brown leather seats
- wood grain pattern in interiors
- Paddle shifters for auto gearboxes
- Cruise control (not in 2WD manual)
- Cooled upper glove box
- Tilt and telescopic steering column
- Eco and Power driving modes
- 8-way adjustable driver power seat
- One touch tumble for 2nd row
This is where the Achilles heel is evident in the new Fortuner. The range of Rs 25.92 lakhs to Rs 31.12 lakhs is slightly high compared to the extremely capable competition in the form of Ford Endeavour. However, affordable servicing and the petrol option is where they can score the brownie points. The entire price list can be found as under:
So will you buy the new Fortuner? Do tell us in the comments section below.