As to why the Nano Twist F-Tronic is showcased as a mere concept is beyond me. It must be something to do with accounts; for the vehicle, in all other aspects, is..or let’s say should be production ready.
The could-be-the newest or why-not-the newest Nano looks a better put-together piece of kit. The fit and finish is top notch, the metallic silver shade gives the car a mature look unlike the toy (but adorable) egg-yolk yellow, the thankfully extended bumpers hide that hideously quaking two-pot mill, and the new Tata grille goes well with the rest of the proposal. The new Nano Concept looks a more rounded and a more accomplished product.
Of course, the technology Tata wants to brandish in the car lies deeper down behind the rear seats. The 5-speed AMT or the Automated Manual Transmission that the Expo showcased Nano comes equipped with has been designed by the F1 acclaimed Magneti Marelli SpA of Italy. The AMT lets you shift up and down gears without depressing the clutch pedal. In fact, you won’t find any clutch pedal to depress in the first place, meaning a more relaxed drive.
The AMT is also claimed to be 10% to 15% more fuel efficient than conventional automatic transmission (AT). The AMT also happens to be cheaper to produce and install than the regular AT. Add to that the Nano Twist F-Tronic Concept has power-assisted steering as well and you begin to drool. And let me tell you that this Nano F-Tronic is an Automated Manual Transmission (AMT) form of the Nano Twist Active we have already talked about earlier.
Nano Twist F-Tronic is powered by the same 2 cylinder 624cc MPFI petrol engine capable of churning out 38PS of power and 51Nm of torque and comes with an EPAS, power windows and a bigger 24 liters fuel tank.
Ease of driving, better fuel efficiency, and economical to own – a win-win situation, if only Tata greases its elbows and propels this concept into its production lines sooner. And for the sake of vada pav, Tata, make the new Nano sound good. Currently, the note those 2 cylinders produce makes a rational being like me contemplate shoving a potato into its exhaust pipe.
Nano Twist F-Tronic Specifications:
- Engine 2CYL 273SI MPFI 10.3CR BS IV GASOLINE ENGINE
- Max Power 38PS @ 5500 RPM
- Max Torque 51Nm @ 4000 RPM
- Gear Box 5-SPEED AMT-AUTOMATED MANUAL TRANSMISSION WITH MECHATRONIC UNIT
- Axle Rear Axle : Driven type independently suspended
- Front Axle : Non drive type independently suspended
- Wheel Base 2230 mm
- Wheel Track Track Front : 1325 mm
- Track Rear : 1315 mm
- Vehicle Dimensions L – 3165 mm x W – 1497 mm x H -1649 mm
- GVW 1065 kgs
- Kerb Weight 765 kgs
- Payload 300 kgs
- Brakes Dual Circuit, vertical split operated by tandem master cylinder with vaccum booster
- Front : Drum brake
- Rear : Drum brake
- Clutch Engine Clutch Type: Single Plate dry friction diaphragm Push type
- Type of Actuation : Automated Manual Transmission
- Tyres R12
- Steering Electric power assisted steering (EPAS)
- Suspension Front: Independent ,Lower wishbone, Mc Pherson Strut type with gas filled damper &
- anti roll bar
- Rear : Independent Semi trailing arm with coil spring & gas filled shock absorbers.
- Fuel Tank Capacity 24 ltrs